6.5.10

26 Week/6 Month Check Up: Gestational Diabetes Test

I had my 6 month check up yesterday.  Heartbeat and growth appear normal.  All's good in the womb.

The big thing yesterday was the gestational diabetes test.  I know it sounds irresponsible, but I just don't want to get it.  The fact of the matter is, I didn't do it the first time and I don't want to do it now.  Apparently there are no symptoms, so if I have it I won't know until it's "too late!".  Of course, the doctor listed off a laundry list of seriously scary complications that could arise from untreated gestational diabetes in an attempt to cajole me into the lab. 

If it turns out I am afflicted, how would I go about treating this horrible metabolic disorder?

I WOULD NEED TO EAT THE SAME STUFF I SHOULD BE EATING ANYWAY!

My diet is far from perfect, but it's about as close to good as I will ever hope to get.  I doubt that a scary diagnosis will make me any more or less likely to pound down some Rice Dream Mud Slide (my favorite treat!).  So, even if I did take this test, the outcome would hardly have an effect on my daily food selection.

I have two more weeks to decide whether or not to take the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment