18.11.08

Aloha Oe!


In case you havent heard the news - we are moving to Hawaii!

And I mean RIGHT NOW.


Yes, its true. After 20+ years, Mr A is finally returning to his island home. Im really excited about it for multiple reasons (I get to put my 30K japanese degree to use afterall!) and the baby doesnt seem to have an opinion one way or the other. Orchestrating a trans-pacific move is quite the endeavor. Its like ripping a band-aid off, you just have to do it and not think about it too much otherwise its totally overwhelming (how many of us have been completely overwhelmed by sticky old bandages?). But at least weve already started boxing and selling, unlike how I normally do it which is to throw everything in a suitcase the night before and trash whatever is left!

We are moving to The Big Island, the one that is actually named Hawaii. For those who have never been there - its a little less white sand beach and a lot more lava field. I dont think theres a building on the island over 3 stories tall. Lots of cattle ranches and nut/coffee farms. Other highlights include the international space observatory (clearest night skies in the world) and Kiluea the active volcano. We are planning on living around Kohala, birthplace of King Kamehameha I. Thats at the northeastern tip of the island.

As for the details: Mr A is going over early so he can take care of job/place to live without the added burden of being transients with baby in tow. Hes flying out the day after Thanksgiving (insistent about spending the holidays with family), which is consequently the day before his birthday. But I dont feel bad because he will probably play sand volleyball all day on his birthday, a much better gift than anything I could dream up for him! Im going to be spending the month of December in Seattle, working odd jobs and finalizing moving details. My family will be doting over Ikaika and most likely ignoring me. Then Mr A is flying back on December 23rd and we will do the Christmas thing - Eve in Seattle, Day in Portland. Ikaika is getting baptized as a Catholic on the 28th and then on the 30th the three of us board a flight to Kona. It will be my first Hawaiian New Years. I hear its going to be both thrilling and blog worthy.


Peace out, Portland! Aloha oe!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous19.11.08

    Congrats on the move. Im so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous24.11.08

    That's amazing! I can't wait to see pics from the Big Island!

    ReplyDelete