17.9.08

Long Night

This is not what I thought I would look like in the ninth month of pregnancy. I dont know if I thought I would be smaller or bigger or just different shaped or what. But I dont feel or look the way I expected to. I can still see my feet (no mismatched shoes for me, thankyouverymuch) although they do tend to swell at night.

But I know that my body is different. Yesterday at the gym I was walking on the treadmill, as that is pretty much all Ive been able to do for the past month or so. Before I used to go between the treadmill and the elliptical, going at a pace I would consider "brisk". Last week I was walking at a pace of 3.0, the week before that it was 3.5. Yesterday I was togging along at 2.5 and if I went above that pace for more than a minute I started contracting to the point where I had to just stop entirely! I didnt even finish both episodes of Bringing Home Baby!
Then I went to yoga class at 530. Thus far, Ive prided myself on being able to keep up with the rest of the class with only minimal modifications for my expanding midsection. Yesterday I couldnt hold even the simplest downward dog for more than 30 seconds! Yikes!

And the worst part is that I think I OVEREXERTED myself! Walking and breathing was just too much for me apparently! Last night when I went to bed I was so uncomfortable. I was hot and then I was cold and I was up and then I was down. The baby was rolling, kicking, moving and I could not find a position where this didnt feel like torture. Then I started contracting in a very uncomfortable way and it was accompanied by small but noticeable pains in the lowest regions of babyland.

Obviously the baby is further down in my pelvis so I didnt find this to be too shocking. The shock came from the fact that such a small amount of activity could have put so much strain on my body.

I watched the season premier of The Biggest Loser last night and I must say that I have a new reverence for how difficult that must be for some of those folks. Even if your mind says you can do it, sometimes your body is just like "no thank you!"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous18.9.08

    Hey Kitie,
    Be careful not to overexert yourself or you will have a September baby!

    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete