26.10.13

Run for the Dry Forest 2013 10K

ran up and down this "hill"
I should probably note that my friend who took second also had time to take all these scenic photographs!
 I like the Run for the Dry Forest at Puʻu Waʻawaʻa (Kona side).  The weather is always nice and the monies go to support preservation of native plants and animals.  Plus the awards are tiles, handmade by the organizer's wife.  So when two of my former coworkers/current friends suggested we run it this year, I was totally game!

At the very last minute, I decided to just suck it up and do the 10K with everyone else.  I was very intimidated because the elevation change is over 1,100 ft and I'm not known for fantastic cardio when it come to uphill hiking.  However, I am super happy that I did it.  The first 3 miles, which were uphill, were awful, but the last three felt crazy fast in comparison.  I paced behind my friend on the right and we made it through together.  Friend on the left took second overall (!!!) so she was obviously nowhere near us.

I took 63 out of 78 overall (so I didn't finish last - hooray!)
and 30th out of 40 women 
I didn't even finish last in my age division (8 out of 12) so, really, what more could I ask for?

My time was 1:29:56 - and you better believe that I was full-out sprinting to get across that finish line before 1:30!  Not bad for my second 10K ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment