10.10.13

Grandma Olive's Dress

I know I'm depressed and overwhelmed lately because I've recently become obsessed with my wardrobe.  Project 333 was a draw (quit a month early, but got rid of almost 1/3 of my stuff) and I've since been scouring Ebay and thrift stores to build the perfect collection of clothing...as if such a thing even exists. 
When I start getting focused on material things, especially something as ridiculous as clothing, I know there is something lacking elsewhere in my life.  I probably have spread myself too thin and now I am in a state of anxiety/paralysis realizing that there is no way I can get it all done.  So, instead, I spend hours and hours searching Ebay for items like "maxi skirt" or "puffer vest" in particular colors or patterns, holding onto the belief that these things will not only round out my wardrobe but somehow settle the chaos in my life.  Its silly, actually.

Anyhow, I've been hunting for the perfect long dress or skirt.  The other night I remembered that I still have the dress my grandmother wore to my parents wedding.


Nevermind that I clear her by nearly a foot, check out this dress!  My first thought was to modify it/modernize it somehow since the colors are about right for my closet.  Then, I realized that would just be adding another heap of steaming "gotta do it" on what is already turning into a formidable pile of worry.  Besides, the ruffle at the bottom is gargantuan, which means there is a ton of fabric and the dress itself is quite heavy.


But this material (however polyester it may be) is totally vintage, which I dig.  The original thought was to make purses for the women in my family out...perhaps that will have to be its final destination after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment