25.5.13

Ikaika's Handwriting

My son has gone from a child who wouldn't so much as draw a line through a picture to someone who spends hours sitting at the table with a pencil in his hand.


He copies words out of books and draws intricate pictures of imaginary scenes. His teacher tells us that he is very visual.  Lately he had been writing words from straight out of his head...like this example, which is part of the state motto "(ua mau) ke'ea o ka 'aina i ka pono o hawai'i". I'm pretty sure that he dictated it better than I just did.


Being my child, he discounts the genius of his writing skills by sighing and saying "oh mom, only in Hawaiian".  I worry that I somehow made him feel it's a lesser skill than writing in English. Sometimes when he watches me write he will say "you write fast" with just a hint of awe in his voice. I should make sure he sees me writing in Hawaiian more often.

The other interesting thing is this example I found of him writing completely backwards. Or, more appropriately, as a mirror image.  These are the names of his teachers and I'm not entirely sure what to make of this, but I guess it's pretty cool because Lord knows I can't write that way.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed! I don't even think I could read until I was in first grade!

    ReplyDelete