17.2.13

Brand New Sweatshirt aka Saturday Guilt Bomb


This weekend we went to a carnival (for lack of a better word) at Nāwahi - the school Kaika will be attending next year.  Seeing the campus was amazing  (for lack of a more accurate word).  The school itself merits a separate post, which I hope to get around to later this week.

One motivation for driving 2 hours to Puna was the chance to scoop up some second hand school uniforms at the school's rummage sale.  Unfortunately, I was only able to find one lowly PE shirt in just barely acceptable condition.  Major bummer.  Totally desperate, I also checked the local thrift stores on our way out of town, but all to no avail.

It's not so much a matter of saving money - though that is a welcome result - as it is a matter of knowing there are perfectly useful school polo shirts out there.  It's the thrill of the hunt combined with the righteous victory of finding something which already exists rather than create more demand for the exact same object by scooping it up new.  This is an exercise in patience.

An exercise I failed!  Faced with the overwhelming joy of being at the school, coupled with the stinging disappointment of not finding unis at the rummage sale, I broke down and bought a (100% optional) school jacket.  New.  And it wasn't cheap.

I justified this clearly impulsive purchase by reasoning that I had a good Ebay week, more than covering the cost.  The money goes to support the school.  I bought a larger size than necessary.  And Koa can use it, too.  I almost never buy him brand new things.  Black and red is Mr A's fav color combo...clearly, the excuses can go on forever!

gale force winds have led me to use the dryer this week - the highlight of their day was rolling around in hot laundry.
Unfortunately, someone always ends up getting hurt!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! You couldn't suppress your excitement for school!

    ReplyDelete