4.10.12

The Compact

Recently a friend contacted me (or rather FB posted the general public) about The Compact.  For those who are unfamiliar, The Compact is a 12 month agreement:
1) to go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of U.S. consumer culture, to resist global corporatism, and to support local businesses, farms, etc; 2) to reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er); 3) to simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
One of most famous Compact-ers on the web is The Non-Consumer Advocate (love her blog, BTW)

Anyhow, so although this was already on my radar, a friend reintroduced it to my life and piqued my interest.  Shall we start with something manageable?  Say, 6 months?  We haven't officially shaken hands on it, but I know she's with me.

I'm at the point now where I don't buy too many things new anyway.  Living 45 minutes from the nearest major shopping hub certainly helps.  We went to Kona on Tuesday and the only violation was a pair of new reading glasses, but they were for Mr A.
Even though I didn't technically cheat, the temptations were outrageous!   Buying crap is a high, a rush.  Walking through the stores, its easy to fantasize about taking such and such thing home, wearing it, displaying it, etc.  "this would be so perfect..."  The only thing that saved me was a consignment store near Costco, which had the most unbelievable selection of yarn.  USED yarn (which is really no different than new yarn).  I went a little bananas in Sandra's Consignment.

So what about you?  You want in on the fun, too?  Here's to 6 months of nothing new!

No comments:

Post a Comment