3.3.11

Time Saving Breakfast Tips

Sometimes the simplest ideas take the longest to be realized.  Last night, as I stared an enormous bowl of butternut squash puree*, I started thinking about making some breakfast muffins.  But it was already 930 and I didn't want to wait around for them to bake.  I thought, eh, I'll just make them in the morning.  Then I started thinking about how early I would have to wake up for them to be ready by 630 when Mr A eats his breakfast (what is the fun of having morning muffins if no one is home to praise them?!) and that didn't sound like a very smart idea either. 

Then I got the brilliant notion of preparing it all ahead of time and just baking it first thing in the morning!  So I mixed all the dry ingredients in a ziplock bag, I mixed all the wet ingredients in a bowl and the strussel topping in another bowl.  I laid out the muffin tin and the spray oil on top of the stove and went to bed. 

First thing in the morning, I turned on the oven, mixed the wet with dry (30 seconds of work), greased the muffin tin (10 second), poured the batter (1 minute) and sprinkled the topping over the muffins (1 minute), then I popped it all into the oven.  Less than 30 minutes from the time I got out of bed, we were enjoying warm apple cinnamon muffins!  The other bonus was the entire house smelled like a bakery.  The super bonus was that the oven warmed the house up slightly (not all hawaii is like "hawaii" but none of the houses have central heating)

Premaking batters and then baking in the morning.  A simple idea that took me awhile to figure out.  I'm totally doing this with pancake batter over the weekend :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment