26.11.09

Happy Thanksgiving Menu

Its Thanksgiving, the day of food and football.

This is our first Thanksgiving alone and, unfortunately, we must rely on ourselves for food.  In the past, we contributed a dish to the family dinner and then reaped the benefits of leftovers.  This year, with no family to speak of and a free 20lb turkey from the DOE, its up to us to cook a meal worthy of this most sacred of holidays.  Ideally, this dinner will be epic, but I will settle for edible.

Heres the menu


  • Roast Turkey from Simply Recipes.  However, I am roasting my bird breast up because thats where the pop up thermometer is.  Also, both grocery stores were completely out of rosemary and thyme so I used Da Salty Lady's Hawaiian Poultry Salt Seasoning instead.  Perhaps doing my shopping at 8am this morning was a poor decision.
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes thanks to the Food Network.    
  • Arrowhead Organic Stuffing
  • Green Beans (Ive got em - just sure what to do with em.  Boil?)
  • Pumpkin Pie - the one thing I am 100% positive I can make and it will turn out awesome.  No raisins this time though!

Thinking back to our pilgrimage earlier this year, I am absolutely overwhelmed with gratitude.  Life in Hawaii is so full of love and happiness. I am very thankful for my family and especially my kid.  Ive heard people say it and figured it was lip service, but its true - he is such a blessing in my life and I am truly, genuinely thankful that he's part of our family.  I also know that someday soon we will be able to spend holidays together with our entire family instead of having to rely on google to roast the turkey!   

Mahalo i ka mea loa'a!  Be thankful for what you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment