This is our first Thanksgiving alone and, unfortunately, we must rely on ourselves for food. In the past, we contributed a dish to the family dinner and then reaped the benefits of leftovers. This year, with no family to speak of and a free 20lb turkey from the DOE, its up to us to cook a meal worthy of this most sacred of holidays. Ideally, this dinner will be epic, but I will settle for edible.
Heres the menu
- Roast Turkey from Simply Recipes. However, I am roasting my bird breast up because thats where the pop up thermometer is. Also, both grocery stores were completely out of rosemary and thyme so I used Da Salty Lady's Hawaiian Poultry Salt Seasoning instead. Perhaps doing my shopping at 8am this morning was a poor decision.
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes thanks to the Food Network.
- Arrowhead Organic Stuffing
- Green Beans (Ive got em - just sure what to do with em. Boil?)
- Pumpkin Pie - the one thing I am 100% positive I can make and it will turn out awesome. No raisins this time though!
Thinking back to our pilgrimage earlier this year, I am absolutely overwhelmed with gratitude. Life in Hawaii is so full of love and happiness. I am very thankful for my family and especially my kid. Ive heard people say it and figured it was lip service, but its true - he is such a blessing in my life and I am truly, genuinely thankful that he's part of our family. I also know that someday soon we will be able to spend holidays together with our entire family instead of having to rely on google to roast the turkey!
Mahalo i ka mea loa'a! Be thankful for what you have!