29.7.12

First Family Camping Trip



Camping is something I've always wanted to do with my children.  Growing up, I was a Campfire Girl (even earning a coveted Wahelo Badge) and a summer camp counselor.  I love how the experience can be so enriching, comforting and challenging all at the same time.  To end our summer, we borrowed some camping gear from a friend and headed out to Mahukona.


Although we chose the site more out of desperation/ignorance and the weather was on/off drizzling, I feel like we still got the experience I was going for.  It wasn't a perfect camping trip but it is definitely something we will be doing again.  Next time will hopefully be easier because I have a better grasp on things we truly need (sleeping mats) and things we don't (pajamas).  I also know that the boys can handle more than one day of this action.


The kids helped set up the tent, gather firewood and fished around in the tide pools.  After dark, we all sat around the fire and roasted marshmallows while Mr A told stories about his dad and I told fairy tales.  The boys were enchanted.  I hope camping will become part of our regular family recreation.

1 comment: