1.5.10

Mister Manoa - a spouse in grad school

Mister A has been accepted into the Special Education program at the University of Hawaii at Manoa!!!

This is very exciting news. But, I'm not all smiles and sunshine just yet.

How will we get this all organized in such a short amount of time?  I think summer session starts in June!  Will he pass the PRAXIS before the deadline?  What does this mean for his position in the middle school next year?  And, most importantly, how am I going to balance a toddler, a newborn and a grad student all in the same house without completely losing myself in the shuffle?!

Even though this is something that was discussed and agreed upon as a family, I'm still nervous about holding up my end of the bargain.  Mr A is now going to be a full time employee and a full time student, making me the full time parent.  The truth of the matter is that being a mom is only rewarding in it's own special way.  There is no certificate or paycheck or anything to justify the hours you clock.  Falling into the trap of feeling unappreciated (and in turn being very bitter and resentful) is surprisingly easy.  I need to start now - reminding myself that help is welcome but not to be expected, that Mr A is doing this for the betterment of our family, and that I can contribute to said betterment by not overextending him.  I need to uphold my commitment to this program.

I can only hope that prices on plane tickets plummet next year and my family visits at least once a month...

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!! Congrats to Mr. A!!!

    I appreciate your parenting of Ikaika. I think you're a wonderful mom and he will grow up into a beautiful human being! This is an amazing thing and you will be better off when it's all done. Good job to you and Mr. A!!!

    ReplyDelete