19.5.10

Eating a Healthy Diet with a Variety of Grains

I came across this information yesterday and it was so darn thought provoking, I just had to share!
"Currently, there are about 150 different types of agricultural crops worldwide (out of a total of about 250,000 plant species).  In contrast, the pre-Columbian Aztec empire had 229 different types of cultivated crop plants.  Today, 12 crops provide for the diets of over 75% of the world population, with 4 crops providing over half of the food eaten worldwide (wheat, corn, rice, and soybeans).  There is much scientific evidence that this restricted diet plays an important role in the most prevalent ailments found in developed nations, such as cardiovascular disease, immune disorders, and cancer.  These diseases are not as common in undeveloped nations where diets include as many as 200 different species of plants."
Hmm...
When I read this I immediately thought "that's me!" - I would say that wheat, corn, rice and soy make up a large majority of the food I eat.  And it's not like I never have anything else in the kitchen!  Ikaika eats porridge almost everyday for breakfast and I feed him a wide variety of grains such as oats, amaranth, millet, quinoa, etc. to keep him from getting bored.  But for myself, its wheat every morning and brown rice every night.  I could argue that I "don't know how to prepare it properly" (lies! I can easily google it!) or "Mr A wouldn't eat it/like it" (which may be true, but shouldn't stop me from trying).  I need to cut the excuses and finally break free from the chicken-brown-rice-rut!  

No comments:

Post a Comment