18.11.09

Why Week: Why Use Cloth Diapers?

"Why Week": the week where I rationalize all my crazy behavior

When one thinks of babies, three words typically come to mind: food, sleep, and diapers. How do we chose what is right for our baby? Breast or formula? Crib or co-sleep? Decisions like these plague the minds of expecting and new mothers every day.
Luckily, advances in technology and lifestyle mean there are more choices available than ever before, especially concerning diapers. Cloth diapers are often thought of as an antiqued technique that was replaced by the "better" modern disposable. I disagree! Yes, there are drawbacks, but no system is perfect. Here are the top 5 reasons why I use and love cloth diapers.

  1. Cloth Diapers are GREEN. There is no waste (after you are done using them for diapers, use them for rags), there are no questionable chemicals, and there is little manufacturing (esp if you use dipes from repurposed, recycled, and/or organic materials).
  2. Cloth Diapers Encourage Cleanliness. There is no putting off changing a cloth diaper. If it is wet or dirty, you are going to know about it right away and you are going to change it. Using cloth diapers usually encourages thoughts of moving on to the potty (for both child and parent!), which is the ultimate clean convenience. Also, solid waste is not meant to be thrown into a landfill. Using cloth encourages proper and hygienic waste treatment because no one wants their own washing machine full of crap.
  3. Cloth Diapers Are Safe. If I caught Baby Ickey chewing through a 'sposie I might have to call poison control. If I caught him chewing on a prefold, I might have to chuckle (depending on the context). Futhermore, I chose what products I use to wash my diapers, so I know exactly what is making contact with his skin.
  4. Cloth Diapers are Convenient. It may take a month or two to develop a system that works, but the rewards are well worth it. I always have diapers. Sure, I had to use the occasional emergency dish towel here and there, but I have never had to run to the store in the middle of the night. This is the diaper shelf in our linen closet and I keep a plastic bin/diaper pail on our lanai (porch). Simple.
  5. Cloth Diapers are Cute. We arent relegated to Mickey Mouse or Winnie the Pooh, with cloth the options are virtually endless. And in the end, isn't that the most important part?



    these cutie diapers are from Starbunz!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment