28.11.08

Giving Thanks for PDX International!

(publishing this late because blogger isnt letting me upload photos from this computer...very annoying)

Thanksgiving was very fun (for me at least). Went over to brother-in-laws and had a rockin good time with the Arrayan Ohana. Gonna miss the holiday/birthday party get-togethers with those folks. There is always something to laugh about. Luckily, last night it wasnt me.



Uncle Mike said that Ikaika was "a little lovin". A perfect description!



Then this morning Mr A got on a plane for Hawaii. Sigh. I know he didnt want to go by himself and, even though I know I shouldnt since this is the best for everyone, I feel bad. He was really bummed about leaving. We were hanging out in front of security check after a lovely airport family breakfast and he was just holding Ikaika and staring at him and not wanting to give him back. Eventually he did and got on his flight. I just got a call and he has made it to Kona none the worse for wear. This is the beginning of our great adventure!



I like the airport during the holidays. I like airports in general, but during the holidays especially. The lights are hung up - its festive - and there is just a feeling in the air. The feeling of seeing someone special. The feeling of anticipation, excitement, surprise. Mix that in with the sort of delirious coma-like state most travellers are in and its the recipe for a perfect place to experience some really crazy emotions. Thats what I like about airports - all those emotions in such a small place. Peoples feelings are always intensified in an airport. I have a lot of vivid memories from travelling and I always felt very aware of myself when I was either picking someone up or dropping someone off.

All those years of flying on planes and I just realized today that the one airline I always ignored because it was just a bunch of rich people going on vacation (Hawaiian Air) is now our primary airline! And Im neither rich nor on vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1.12.08

    I used to feel that way about airports too until I had to get on a plane for the millionth time and the before and after sucks too! It's nasty to have to take off your shoes and belt to go through security. And then the harrassment after you come back into the country sucks big time!! I actually had a guy ask me what country I'm from...as he was holding my US passport in his f-ing hands!!!!

    Anyways, that is sad that Curtis has to leave his 'young' wife and young son during the holiday season. But, when are you coming to Seattle? I'm waiting!!!!!!!! I even bought the kaki! It's waiting for you to eat it!!!!

    Love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete